What is Sanctioning?
- Sanctioning is the process of having your event officially recognized by the Manitoba Runners’ Association, the sport-governing body for Road Running in Manitoba, as well as Athletics Manitoba and Athletics Canada. It includes insurance, equipment, a race page on our website, inclusion on our Race Calendar and assistance where possible. We advocate with the City of Winnipeg and the Parks, who recognize our events as being fully insured and run with a standard of safety and organization.
Benefits of sanctioning your event with the Manitoba Runners’ Association
- Insurance coverage (accident & liability) for race organizers, participants, volunteers and spectators.
- Promotion on the MRA website, on our Facebook page (over 1400 Likes and growing) & our Instagram, and through promotional e-mails to our 400 + members.
- Promote your event, by handing out your brochures prior to your race date at our MRA Classic/Youth Series events, and at the Manitoba Marathon Fit Expo.
- Your own race page on the MRA website with your entry form for downloading, on-line registration link, link to your website, race results, and other information you would like included.
- Posting your race results or providing a link.
- The expertise of Kathy and the MRA board as you plan your event.
- At least 1 board member that can attend your event to give you support, if available.
- The use of MRA equipment such as time clocks with tripod, finish line gantry, generator, sound system, road signs, finish line chutes, start & finish banners, 4’ x 8′ covered box equipment trailer if needed, etc.
- The opportunity to hire MRA Timing Services to time your event, if needed.
- Guidance re: course measurement and certification, safety and recording race results
- Meetings – we meet with the city and park officials as required, to review and improve conditions for our running events
- Your event could be included in our MRA Classic Race Series or MRA Youth Race Series (see our website for details)
- Elite performances at your event are recognized by Athletics Manitoba and Athletics Canada for funding opportunities and Team Selection (if on a certified course)
- Awards Celebration – join us for a fun evening as we present awards to our MRA Classic & Youth Race Series participants/winners in November
- MRA Hall of Fame, to recognize Manitoba’s best male and female road runners, Race Director of the Year and deserving inductees nominated by MRA members and selected by the MRA Members of the Board. This is an annual event, held in April.
- Access to the Race Director section on the MRA website with all the pertinent information needed to plan your event, important contacts, event planning guides, event check lists, safety guidelines, etc.
- Annual Race Director meeting in November where Race Directors can share information, ask questions or express concerns to the MRA board and receive new information from the MRA
- Your Race Director receives a complimentary MRA membership for the year of your event
- Support for new Race Directors is available by participating in Run 4 Your Cause.
- By sanctioning your event with the MRA you are supporting your local, not for profit organization that has only one interest: providing support and help to all of our Manitoba Race Directors so that their event is successful plus the safe advancement of road running for all ages and abilities.
VIEW THE 2022 MRA RACE DIRECTORS’ MEETING IN ITS ENTIRETY HERE:
(fast-forward to 1:14 for the beginning of the recording)
All the forms and Information needed for the 2023 race season are below:
2023 Sanctioning Package – includes all forms and appendices necessary when sanctioning an event with the MRA
2021 Self-Screening Tool – Shared Health Manitoba
2021 Considerations for Holding a Live Event During COVID-19-Updated August 7, 2021 -includes important supplementary information for sanctioning an event and a participant waiver
Tools you can use to plan and execute a safe in-person event – Race Roster 2021
Contagion Exclusion Endorsement Memo-new exclusion to the current Sport Manitoba insurance policy
Race Director Guide (for planning your event)